Make your own free website on Tripod.com
Home
Paw Map
Paw Talk About Us
Contact Us
Adoption Updates
Pups Wanted
Looking To Adopt
For New Owners
Our Wish List
Vote Page
Odds & Ends
Fun Page
Amazon Store

 

 

During Haloween

Keep cats and dogs confined in a room while greeting Trick or Treaters.  This is an evening of loud noises and strange faces at your door and your pet could easily become frightened and rush out the door while you are greeting these visitors.

It is especially important to keep all pets inside on Halloween evening.  It is unfortunate, but each year too many animals fall victim to pranks, which result in injury and/or death to innocent pets.  If you own a black or white cat, it is strongly recommended that they be kept indoors during the entire month of October.  Additionally, on Halloween eve, keep your leash walks brief, it has been reported that pet have been frightened, harassed, injured, stolen and even killed.

Do not take your cat or dog with you in the car while the kids go Trick or Treating.  It can be very frightening to sit in a dark car while scary creatures of every size and shape walk by – especially when you haven’t any idea what Halloween is and what these scary things walking by are not!  Furthermore, your normally friendly dog can become aggressive and protective and lash out at a friendly ghost or witch.  For the safety of your pets, leave them at home, inside where they are safe.

Do not give your pet candy, there are several dangers:
Sticks on caramel apples could be swallowed and cause damage to internal organs or choking
Candy can cause upset stomach, resulting in diarrhea or vomiting
Packaging can cause choking or intestinal blockage and foil like wrappers can become as dangerous as razors when swallowed
Never give your pet chocolate!!!!  It contains theobromine, a substance that can be poisonous to your pet.  Dark, Semi-sweet and Bakers Chocolate can even be lethal if ingested.

Don’t leave burning candles unattended.  It is normal that your pets may be curious about a brightly burning candle.  Please keep them away from burning candles – your pet could incur serious burns.  f your pet became startled, the candle could be accidentally tipped over and a fire could occur.

Ensure that any decorations cannot be pulled over or off their location.  An item that is pulled off, could seriously hurt your pet if the decoration was pulled down on top of them.  And with some decorations they could become entangled and cause serious harm to themselves in their panic to be free.

home.gif