Common antifreeze contains the sweet-tasting
substance ethylene glycol. Even a small amount of this chemical can be fatal. If a cat walks through a puddle on
the driveway and then licks his paws, he can ingest enough to cause his death.Prevention is simple.
Keep new or used antifreeze in sealed containers.
Ask your local auto supply store whether
they dispose of used antifreeze.
Clean up any spills on driveways and other
Consider using the type of antifreeze
that is safe for pets.
The New Puppy or Kitten
Very young pets are always curious
and highly active, and they go through a teething stage. They're quite likely to investigate dangerous places, lick or sniff
at anything that smells interesting and chew on anything soft or pliable. Make his new home a safe one by:
limiting contact with electrical cords
(great for chewing)
preventing jumps from high places, such
as from your arms, to prevent the fracture of little bones
shortening draw cords and pulls that
pose a choking hazard.
Plants, Pesticides and Insecticides
Pets, particularly cats, like to
explore. Keep pets safe in your yard and in your home by selecting plants that are non-toxic. Remember that many of the decorative
holiday plants are harmful. Sometimes the unlikeliest is the most harmful (i.e. Easter Lilies can be deadly to cats).With
plants often come unexpected dangers in the form of herbicides, and "safe" insecticides such as boric acid. Before using a
chemical in or around your home, verify that it's safe for use around animals.
Pets and Young Children
They can mix. It just takes time...and a
lot of supervision. Children love to touch and feel animals. They often become very excited and they show it by yelling, clapping
hands or dancing around, all of which can terrify an animal. Young children don't realize that pulling Kitty's tail hurts
her, that Rover doesn't appreciate having his ears yanked, or that Mickey (the mouse) doesn't like to be shoved into the toilet
paper tube. The key is supervision—for the safety of your pet and your child.
Know what treats
are safe for your pet before feeding them to her. If you have any questions, speak with your veterinarian. For example:
If your bird or rabbit (or any other pet)
enjoys apples, make sure to remove the seeds. They contain the chemical cyanide, which can cause breathing difficulty and
Avoid "death by chocolate." To many
of us, this sounds heavenly, but when it comes to dogs, the phrase can be taken literally. Just three ounces of baker's (dark)
chocolate is enough to kill a 20-pound dog. Milk chocolate is slightly less lethal, but to dogs, chocolate is chocolate. Make
sure chocolate candy and other treats aren't lying around on countertops or tables where your dog can get to them.
Other Household Dangers
You've no doubt heard the phrase
"curiosity killed the cat." To keep your explorer safe from his curiosity, secure areas that pose a danger:
front-loading washers and dryers: Keep
the door closed at all times.
toilets: Keep the lid down to prevent potential
mop buckets: If you use a mop and
bucket to clean your floors, empty the bucket as soon as you're through. A soapy bucket poses a drowning or poisoning hazard.
Be especially careful if you have
construction going on at the home. Home construction zones can contain quite a few dangers, including:
unstable structures: Freestanding walls
may tip over and land on your pet if disturbed.
toxic paints and chemicals: Your pet may
"taste-test" the paint or other chemicals.
exposed wiring: Pets may see wires and
cables as great toys, but they may electrocute or strangle an unsuspecting pet.